I have found myself with nothing to do tonight. Not, as in, bored, but more like a moment to breathe. As I sit back and relax, I realize I have a long queue of stuff that I want to do .. sometime. I’m making a note of them here. As I write this, I realize I also have misgivings about some things, they need to leave the list, I do not have the time, I must be picky.
Video Editing Queue – Priority
- Soccer Banquet: player and coach interviews – mostly done, needs trimming and color correction and some titles.
- Soccer Banquet: to be determined – JV, V, Seniors, Action shots, Clips of celebrations, Senior Parents flashback – waiting on media from my wife to set the grouping.
Video Editing – Not priority
- Now that I have multicam software, finish off the Café Unity Wizard of Oz video .. so I can delete the originals (22G) and replace with a single 4G video stream. (Also amazing is how Premiere does 2 pass VBR etc – to get crisp high quality video in less space – as compared to consumer MPG generation)
- Likewise, reburn the surrounding video to a DVD for Noumuas, but I want to attempt color correction on it now that I have learned how.
- Battle of igNew vs Heartland – Basketball competition – its going down tomorrow. I won’t be there, but supposedly there will be two GoPro’s in the mix.
- Niece Macki’s Oldham vs Shelby competitive girl’s soccer game.
- I *still* have all those old photos that need to be digitized. I might just find a service and get them sent off. I really want to color correct some of the stuff from the 70’s.
- Of course, none of it is of any use to anybody other than me.. I have no biological offspring who would care.
- I have about a decade of digital pictures that I could try to organize and comment on.
- Staying up to date with Grimm, Top Gear Ameriica, Top Gear BBC, Doctor Who. Only one is currently in season.
- Backlog of seasons: Doctor Who. I’ve browsed the top 10 so far. I might let this one go.
- Battlestar Galactica? I think they completed their story arc now. I might let this one go.
- Richard Hammond Crash Course. Not started yet.
- There’s probably more excellent TV that I have missed, but I don’t know about ‘em, so I can’t list ‘em.
- I think I’m giving up on Wild Alaska Flying Frozen People with Wind and Visibility Problems and oooo it could be dramatic but it really isn’t, but its pretty and I love watching airplanes fly.
- Ice Road Truckers, if I get really bored. Similar to the above.
- The Hobbit. Oh yeah. Probably twice, in the theaters.
- John Carter of Mars
- reference Howard Tayler’s yearly reviews of movies, I seem to agree with him (except that I liked Wolverine)
- Harry Potter! I stopped watching the movies somewhere between 4 and 5 I think.
- I once thought I would watch the entire LOTR, but with the directors or some other commentary track. I might have to shelve this. I think its beautiful what they did, but its in the past now, let it go, look at the new.
- There are many feel good important movies about the beauty and challenge in our world — Racing the Rez is one of them.. I want to watch more of these. There’s also a movie about high school football that @CoachKennyBurke referenced in one of his videos.
- I have an active subscription to Schlock Mercenary.
- I have many non fiction books.. math books, geeky books.. that I have gotten this year, that I can’t even remember. Some by Martin Gardner. There’s something about a very peaceful tribe in the Amazon. I could possibly put these in GoodReads, but I’d rather actually read them.
- Graphic novels from Humble Bundle that I just bought. I got through xkcd the other night, it was great.
- Shannara? I grabbed 1 and 3, tried re-reading, but I’m finding it too dry and too.. suspicious? the characters are not deep enough for me to relate any more. I think I have to pass on it
- Barbara Hambly is currently on my list. I have 2 or 3 of her books lined up.
- 2 anthologies (?) of Science Fiction short stories thanks to my Mother in Law. I’ve read a few stories from each.
- I read through the first 6 books in the “Warriors in the Wind” (cat stuff) series. I am hesitant to start on the next 6. Same shit, different paw.
- ViHart, CPGrey, VSauce, SlowMoGuys (sorry no links, you can youtube them if you want)
- I seem to catch up about every month or so.
- I’m reasonably current now, thanks to Sirius XM.
- Mostly will involve banging on drums really loud.
- Some day I want to revisit trying to mix two or three songs together to make a mashup.
- I do want to spend some time and just go through all the music that friends post on facebook, and listen to a bunch of it. Just to see what’s important to them.
- Burnup/Burndown – currently working on it, at the rate of 1-2 hours every other week (link is to github)
- Gmail super-archiving program – to delete all but the most recent of a pattern match; moving the most recent to an “Offers” folder. Access via Imap, probably.
- Recovery Program Mapping – to help generate maps of 12 step meetings sorted by Date, Time, and mapped across a city. Because that’s really hard to do. Make it donation-based.
- LPC revisited in C# and .Net – to pay homage to where I learned OO for real.
- XCom – I only played a few levels. It was fun. I probably won’t go back to it.
- DayZ – I only played a bit; won’t go back to it unless its with a group of buddies
- Civ5 – I did everything I wanted to do with it; I can shelve this
- XPlane – I did all the travelling to places that I already know; I still have my cross country trip to do, however, I’m not feeling it right now. Maybe in the dead of winter. I have a TrackIr now, should be fun.
- SPAZ – meh, it was interesting for a night. Probably shelved
- Borderlands – curiosity satisfied, shelved
- SimCity – curios, might download demo, then shelve.
- Portal – I really should play this. Its so famous.
Then there’s another part of life.. that’s not work, its not family, and its not entertainment… Its been ignored. It’s the segment that I only seem to find the desire to work on, after I’ve spent some energy getting charged back up using entertainment. It is:
- Get back to Yoga
- Get back to resistance training / toning all muscles in general
- Get back to running
- Bonus: Swimming (== toning core muscles)
- Bonus: Bicycling
- Bonus: Soccer
If I ever say I am bored.. I need to come back and read (and freshen) this post. And I’m not even listing the other areas of life I could get more involved in – recovery work (going to more meetings, taking on more sponsors), teaching (I think I would enjoy it, one on one, for those who want to be better developers), yardwork, house fixing, etc etc etc…
Life is Full. That’s probably good.