It took a while (life) but I finally got the video trimmed and uploaded:
Yay! I joined one of.. 4000+ results? Everybody had a video. And I joined late, so all the people searching for it, have already chosen their favorites and moved on. Down, Ego, Down.. Pop original motive: To represent “what I love” about the races I’m running this year. And give an outlet for my video create/organize/edit urge.
For this video, I had one camera on my forehead, and another on a chest strap / reversed / pointing backwards. This had some challenges:
- Chest strap was not made to be worn backwards, and so it rubbed up against my front neck/chest area uncomfortably.
- Because I could not see where the camera was pointing, and it was at chest level, and the race was mostly populated by women, I got some footage that was, possibly invasive of the person’s space. This mostly happened at the start.. and at the finish when everybody was throwing color in the air. I tried to ensure I cut out anything that would be embarrassing, but I wonder if I missed something. Solution: cut out the backward pointing video as necessary.
- Battery life! Hero 3 chews through it like crazy, compared to the Hero 960. Observe when the camera got turned off for a bit (not sure why) in the middle of the video.
- Presentation: I went the easy way out; I didn’t try to choose front vs back, I just showed the whole thing. Which actually is accurate – it really is that chaotic there.
- Stabilization: Chest moves left/right a lot when I run. However, that’s easily handled by Warp Stabilizer.. at the cost of 1 hour per 5 minutes of video or so. On the flip side, Warp Stabilizer against the head-mounted camera didn’t work, the camera view angle moves around too much.
About the race itself:
- Its not a race. It’s a casual walk / jog with a bunch of screaming, yodeling, skipping, and general goofing off.
- Go with goofy friends. I was in good company.
- Protect your phone!
- The color won’t last. Even if you try to save it with vinegar etc. So don’t worry about staining stuff too much. (well, it might give a hint of a shade)
- There are multiple waves. I was in Wave 5? Somebody else I met was in Wave 14, I think they said.
About the video edit:
- I tried to keep everybody who waved at the camera in the final edit.
- Original was 1 hour and 15 minutes of video. Cut down to 8 minutes. Yeah baby.
Good fun. Highly recommend the race to anybody who even considers it .. yes you can walk it!