I did it! I’ve edited together yet another 5k race video!
This time, my workflow:
- Don’t pick and choose, stabilize ALL the running camera video. I carved them up into 2 minute sections, and spent several days clicking stabilize, and walking away. Some day I should figure out some batch automation for this.
- Use a 720p format, so I get an automatic clip of the 1080p stabilized footage.
- I did not go dual screen this time. I got everybody on camera as they left, rather than as they came in. Side effect: less work!
- Strategic use of “cross” vs “dip” to hint at when a story line was changing.
- I had some problems with picking a consistent font. Some day, I’ll find a font I like.
- Once the music started, I was able to cut/trim/fit the running video to the music.
I only had two stories I could really tell in interview style:
- History of the race (thank you Bill!)
But I managed to fit in some little tidbits:
- Downtown LaGrange.. Oldham County days.. band playing, etc.
- The 1 mile is a different route than the 5k for this race. Which means, you can see the 1 mile winners on their way back!
- The interrupting Tra… “Toot Tooot” …ain.
- The guy in the golf cart is Corey, he runs the indoor soccer program for the Y.
- Shannon runs Oldham County Physical Therapy, they are wonderful. They fixed me up after ITBand’11.
- Bill the sign guy helps with signage at almost all the local races. Including the PPJ10mi.
- 1st place winner lady = last year’s overall winner.
- 1st place winner guy Sean R = former soccer teammate of my stepson’s.
- A bunch of the winners are related to each other. There’s a family who is in to running. I should interview them some time.
It’s a bit harder with the camera on the front. If I run hard, my hands get in the way. On the other hand, with the camera on my head, stabilizing the footage is much harder. I wonder If I can find a nice person with a running stroller for the next race, put the camera on the stroller.. Hmmm..
The next one up is Fastline 5k. I know almost nothing about Fastline (the printing company) .. I guess I’ll get to find out!