I got tired of looking at the top half of my stomach. So, for this week at least:
- I had my wife change my Facebook password. BOOM instant 2.5-5 hours of life available.
- Although, perhaps not. Might be substituting it with reading twitter and http://Louisville.io slack.
- I’m trying to stay away from Youtube, with the self-promise of “I’ll look at it on Friday”. Probably another 4 hours a week.
- Trying to get a walk in with the dog whenever possible. 2 so far, about 2.2 miles each. Maybe a little jogging.
- I was able to jog 1 mile at 145HR, about 13mins/mile, slightly downhill, yesterday.
- Changing nutrition routines (one day so far, going on day two):
- Day-start = water + bulletproof coffee, to avoid insulin spike, stay in (overnight) fat-burning longer.
- When hunger re-hits, then a semi-healthy protein shake (made with some milk, so the carbs start to come in at this point). This seems to be about 11am.
- “Normal” food after that, when the hunger hits, seems to be about 2pm.
- Any time I order something, try to split it in two / make two meals of it. Eat the other one later. Even if its 2-3 hours later.
- I am not capturing nutrition info (yet). Too much time load.
- I have a standing swim-time with my father-in-law on Wednesdays.
- I’m hoping to double that up with some Gym time on Wednesday mornings.
- Ie, light-work-day, more self-care-day, in the middle of the week.
I just went from trial- to paid- on http://YouNeedABudget.com. It took some getting used to, but.. it works well (for me). And, it has spouse-approval (to a certain extent), and spouse-involvement (the best part). There are some things I wish:
I wish it could do budgets over 2 week periods.
- I wish i could select a proposed transaction, a imported bank transaction, and say: “Hey you these were the same thing”. It doesn’t match them unless they’re exact.
- I wish i could trigger the bank import from the mobile app.
That’s it. Otherwise, its a nice, FAST, friction-free environment to get .. not a handle.. but a balloon, on spending. Its like Dave Ramsey’s cash envelopes, except digital.
Thanks to @waywardmage for the infectious enthusiasm.
I once again find myself in the position where I have two clients for whom to do work. In order to keep focus-ability, I’m forcing myself to reserve time for them ahead of time – like, “next week Tuesday i’ll devote to Client 1”. This removes the anxiety of “am I doing the right thing” (as I do not have somebody above me, i have to be self-sufficient in context switching and priority setting). Today is a beautiful day of coding for Client 1 (for the morning, with a clear priority list of tasks), and then some meetings, and then some Client 2 in the afternoon (new project, discovery / design phase, exciting stuff).
Of course if things are on fire, then things are on fire and that’s different.
- We just got our garage cleaned out and organized! YES!
- Next up is a bathroom upstairs that needs re-done. Or, there’s several rooms that need painting.
- There’s a video security system that I need to take down, to give to my son, who would want it more than me.
- I’m planning on devoting 3 evenings a week to house stuff for the month of August.
Pet Projects / Folders
Derek Sivers (good egg) has a post that makes sense to me: Possible Futures.
So, i have folders for the following projects, in terms of approximate sparkly- order:
- A series of blog entries on testing. I know a lot about testing, seems like more than most developers, and perhaps I should share it, and maybe cross-ref it against current testing literature out there, and maybe learn something.
- Some day.. some day.. i’ll convert my car tracks into a nice 3-D sculpture. I think about this when I commute. I have a choice of about 4 routes, all of which seem about even.
- I need to get rid of my 3D printer and supplies. Psychic weight. Anybody want them? Needs a bit of work, i have all the replacement parts.
- I want to get more Phillips Hue lights and set them up, however, not-wife-approved at the moment.
- Get my twit-sort.com back online. I miss it.
- Tweak my space-game code. I would love to get it to navigate from one space port to another, with gravity enabled, and possibly a little autopilot.
These projects have fallen off the shelf, and probably won’t get put back on.
- Front camera for my prius.
- Will I ever play more Elite Dangerous?
- Will I ever play more American Truck Simulator?
So, if you don’t hear much from me on this blog, well, that’s what I’m up to. I tend to write blog articles when a) my life slows down, or b) my life is so fast that I need to level-set myself by writing about it. This one is part of the latter.