I have been searching for a Twitter app for my Nexus 10 Android tablet for a few weeks. None of the ones I have tried have worked for me. Here’s the list so far. My apologies to a developer if I misrepresent your app, kindly correct me and I’ll retest.
Echofon: While I love this app on iOS, the android version does not [yet] mute by client. Its not very tablet-friendly either. When they do, I’ll likely switch back to them.
Plume: The inline rendered pictures are far too wide (and not tall enough) to be useful. Still too wide in three column mode; and I wish that the three columns could all show information from the same stream. But no, I have to look at 3 month old direct messages instead.
Flipboard: tries to be smart about what it will show and what it won’t, resulting in missed stuff. And doesn’t mute but heck its like its muting everything. Very pretty though it has the best UI.
Twitter: I refuse to use it. If its like their website, it has “sponsored tweets” .. no thanks. And, it doesn’t have mute.
Seesmic: So far, its working okay. It does previews, it does mutes, and while it is not intelligent about using all the space available on the tablet, it’s the least obnoxious one (apart from Flipboard).
What am I looking for?
- Must have the ability to mute by keyword search. I really don’t want to see all the GetGlue, Foursquare, and Untappd things that my friends post, while I do want to see their other stuff.
- Must have the ability to preview pictures and/or article text. I don’t want to waste time following the link.
- Must show a lot of information in a small space.
- Must not skip information.
If I were to dream I would want an app that did the above and:
- Configured against multiple sources (twitter, facebook, etc)
- Rendered the view using little squares
- Either picture or text in a square
- 2×1 Rectangles possible, depending on the form factor of the picture / content.
- Allow square sizes to be variable – zoom in/out to get more/less information on the page
- Allow grouping by chronological or by user or by popularity (or both)
- both: map chronology across the X axis; and user across the Y axis; give everything a gravitational pull that yanks them together and/or tries to keep them in order, and see what happens.
- Allow grouping by slicing first
- 1st priority is: all stuff by my wife;
- 2nd priority: stuff by my family;
- 3rd priority: stuff that’s popular;
- 4th priority: everything else
- This is only possible if the time frame to slice over is configurable on the page; defaulting to “since the last time I checked”, or maybe “the oldest unread thing up to a week ago”.
- Mark things as read vs unread so that if I don’t find it one view, I can find it in the other.
- Either hide things that are read, or display them dimmed, configurable.
I would probably call the app “SquareReader” or something like that. Except that there’s a credit card processing tool that seems to have the dibs on the word “Square” at the moment.
Ah yes. If somebody would pay me for the time, I’d write it.