Clogged 3D Printer

Problem Discovery

The other night (Time of writing minus 4 days), I set up a hi-resolution Black Dalek print in motion.   I also pointed the Dropcam at it..  what I saw at 8am the next morning Shocked and Amazed me!

Keep on printing… Keep on printing… (Dora)

(clog at 1:19 or so, but its hard to tell)

2014-04-18 08.56.27The head was swooshing and swishing unrestricted in the air.. no plastic coming out.  But, the filament still seemed to be attached.  (in the past, the reel had developed a bind that had pulled the filament out of the printer)   What?   My first clogged head!    (10,000XP monster!)  

(I still got some good parts out of the print):

Problem Investigation

Here you can see the stripped filament where the gear could not push it in any further:

image

This was as far as I had disassembled the printer before.. knowing I could buy a new print head for $59, I went for the full disassembly.   I referred to several videos online, especially this one:

Thank you Ian Johnson

I successfully exploded it everywhere and got down to the offending parts:

imageimage

image

Now what?   I’m using PLA, so I couldn’t soak in acetone..

De Clogging Solution

Just for the heck of it, the wife and I tried using a candle flame to localize heat up the barrel.    It worked.  First try.  The glops globbed out.  The glips gleeped.   The wires were not affected.   There was much rejoicing.   My wife is awesome.

There was a clog in the peek barrel as well .. I had to use a nail, and then a really small hex driver, and a hammer, to get that one out of the way.  It worked.

I did hook up the barrel assembly to the heaters and test them before I started putting everything back.  It was a little hard to push by hand, but the filament did make it all the way through.  Large glops of black ink (I think the black is VERY inky) came out – I suspect I’ve been running it at too high a temperature, and magic happened, and a lot of ink collected in the barrel.

The Adventure Continues

I’m in the middle of putting the printer back together. 

Luckily, I used a sharpie at a diagonal across the 5 clear pieces so I could figure out how to put them back.   One of them broke, a bit, not too serious, I don’t think.   I’ve stopped at the point just before I put the extruder motor back on.  I expect I have to recalibrate the z-distance, because I’m pretty sure the barrel is now sitting lower than it did before.   Luckily I had Kapton Tape that I could cut up to reattach the thermister.   Hey There, Mister.  

I’ll get a chance to play with it again in 2-4 days.  I hope I can get it back together.. I got my second ever “actually useful” thing to print (for a friend’s arcade machine build).   And I want to do some more name coasters.

Tagged with: ,
Posted in 3D

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories
Tags
.net 3d 3d-printing 4k abc15 algorithms ames android anonymous types asp.net audio editing aws backup basecamp beatunes biorhythm bittorrent blender blog boston marathon bpm c# caffeine campfire candycrush car carmax charity chiropractor cities-skylines clog clone codelouisville codepalousa coding coffee collaboration color run ComputerElbow ComputerVision configuration consulting cooking crash course crashplan crestwood cycling dabda dan dapper DataSet ddl diabetes dictation dotnetcore dotnetmud downtown e-cycling elite excel exercise expiration facebook feature-branching firefall flipflops Flow FL Studio focus food forecastle fortresscraft franklinplanner gadgets game-design games git github google docs google maps gopro gps grandpa greenshot hack half marathon headless health heart rate hiren ignew integration testing interop inventory ios ipad itunes javascript jobs karma kdf keyboards keys kittens lamont laptop lavalamp lego life lifehack linq linqtotwitter linux los angeles louisville mandelbulber massage therapy mastery-teaching maths merge metformin Minecraft miniature modeling monitor mud muhammad ali institute music mvc mycartracks netfabb nexus10 node nostalgia nutrition nwipe oldham county grand slam opal openjscad openscad owin pacedj paper mockup pepakura performance photoscan politics pomodoro postgresql powershell premiere prius process product-management project-management qa resharper review rmi roman road 5k RSI rubiks running samsung 700t sandals schedule scooter scribblelive selenium service shapeways sleep slic3r sneakersync snot software software-engineering solidoodle soylent spacegame speaking sql sqlite SSDT SSIS standing state-machine stayfocusd stonehearth sunset tablet teaching team teamcity teamtreehouse terraform testing tfs time timelapse torque touch tracks trs80 Tuple tutor twitter ubuntu unit testing utilities video video editing visual studio vscode vsvim warp stabilizer windows 8 windows home server wordpress wpf xml
Archives
%d bloggers like this: